Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sunflower planting time

Now is the time to get some sunflower seeds in the ground! Sunflowers are one of the easiest plants to grow and one that children just adore. The seeds are large, so their little fingers can easily poke them into the ground, and then they are rewarded in just 5-8 days with seedlings! Sunflowers grow incredibly fast and are a joy to have in your yard. They can grow up to 8 feet tall, and the flowers on some varieties are as big as dinner plates. We like to plant them all along the back wall of the garden, which breaks up the monotony of the white cinder blocks. This year we are growing both Russian Mammoths and Autumn Beauty. In one corner of the vegetable garden, we planted a square of seeds that will turn into a Sunflower House once the flowers are tall. I encourage you to get a packet of seeds and just poke them in the ground wherever you can. All you need is full sun and just a little space, and you'll have big, bright yellow flowers by late summer.

1 comment:

  1. I love sunflowers. I wish I had a good spot for them. I can't wait to see a picture of yours toward the end of the summer. Thanks for encouraging ME with your comment today. I like your title, "I love your comments...why else would anyone blog?" Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...why else would anyone blog?