Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The sower and the seed

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday who shared with me about how she is using her newly found gardening skills as a way to talk about Jesus with her daughter. What a natural time to share the parable of the sower and the seed! As they worked the soil together, she told her daughter the story as found in Matthew chapter 13:

13 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear.”

I hope that I'll remember this the next time I am in the garden with my children. Although they will hear this parable literally, thinking that it is only about seeds and soil, when they are older they will be able to remember it and think about what it really means. Thanks to Amita for sharing such a meaningful way of sharing the love of God with my kids...how wonderful it is that we have friends who help us grow in our faith!

5 comments:

  1. I often wonder, how will I show my son Jesus? How will I introduce them? Each night, I speak of him but perhaps during the day I forget. We will find him in the garden together :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this parable. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to remember this for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki - What a beautiful heart you have. I will try to do this with my two year old. He loves to "sing" Jesus loves me.

    Regarding my post on Coco liner - you can see you at http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/category/box-liner, its just that brown stuff (literally coconut husks I believe) lining hanging baskets and english window boxes that have the "wrought iron" look. Coco liner is maintains moisture just ok in my book. But certainly well enough for sedums and moss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that!We are always talking about Jesus and what would he do in situations. We were just working in the yard this past weekend and have so much more to do... I will remember this and share with them!
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...why else would anyone blog?