Friday, March 20, 2009

The first roses of the season

I love to watch my garden compete each Spring. Figuring out which of my roses will bloom first is a game my kids and I love to play. This year, there are two winners, so I'll post pictures of both. First, the red Chrysler Imperial in the front yard is definitely one of my husband's favorites because of its fabulous fragrance. It is right by the front door and the scent wafts by as you walk inside. This rose was here when we moved into the house and I can't imagine not having it.


Second is the pink Charlotte Armstrong rose in the back rose bed. I love this rose, since it is one of the only pinks we have and it has extremely long buds that are very graceful. Armstrong Garden Centers have classes throughout the year, and this was a free gift at the end of one of the rose pruning classes. It is two years old now and really seems to love our bed!

While we are on the topic of roses, don't forget to feed your roses now. They have been dormant and are now growing wildly, so they'll need a good boost of nutrients to help their blooms be healthy and abundant. I love the E.B. Stone rose food. Not only is is Organic, but it is easy on the plants and you - if you accidentally over-feed them, this food won't burn them.

4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful for your garden tips! we have roses and now I am going to rush out and get food for them. thanks! And how I wish to come to your yard, 2 flowers in bloom what a lucky girl you are!
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos! I'm loving the pink rose, wow! Happy 1st day of Spring~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am going to feed my roses. Thanks for the reminder! Beautiful roses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki- I am totally jealous of your roses. We had monsoon weather yesterday - I have lots of mud and moss! Roses are a couple of months away. Regarding kids veggie garden - we have one area that gets lots of hot soon, but is very sloped with poor soil, maybe will go with whiskey barrels, I don't know if making raised beds will make it into the big spring to do list. We always have so many projects in the spring (pool prep, presure washing, lawn reviatlization, etc. So we defintely will have limited space - hoping for veggies the kids will eat and are fun to grow: carrots, radishes, beans,

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...why else would anyone blog?