Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sorrel

This is one of the new plants this year for the veggie garden and it is called Sorrel. According to Noah and my tastings (bitten right off the plant before planting!), it has the texture of spinach, but has some citrus/lemon flavors that make it very "bright." I went looking online for some recipe suggestions and found this lovely little site. It hasn't been updated in 2009, but I'm linking to the Sorrel recipes because they all sounded so interesting! It can be picked and added to salads or sandwiches, but it can also be baked into quiches and soups and also combines well with ginger flavors to add to chicken dishes. I am really looking forward to experimenting with this over the next few weeks as it grows!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki, I've been meaning to come by and visit ever since you started following my blog, sorry for my tardiness!

    Your sorrel plant is lovely and seeing it makes me want to put some in my garden. One of my favorite cookbooks, The Herbfarm Cookbook, has a few recipes that sound really good: Spring Sorrel and Chive Soup; Sorrel Sauce for Salmon; Spinach and Sorrel... Oh my, gotta find a few plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds wonderful! I'm thinking I need a garden! You are such an inspiration to start one.
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...why else would anyone blog?