Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Goodnight, Shamrock

Did you know that Shamrocks go to sleep at night? During the day, their little leaves and flowers open up towards the sun, and then at night, they hang their little heads. My mom has a few Shamrocks and the first time I saw them "sleeping," I told her she needed to remember to water her plants before we went to bed. What a sweet little plant that puts itself to bed in the evenings. This folding up at night is known as nyctinstic movements. Your Shamrocks will enjoy indirect sunlight in your home for the next few months, but then they will start to look dead or dying. The Shamrock (Oxalis, of which there are many varieties) is a bulb, and it will go into a time of dormancy. Once the foliage has browned, you can remove it and place the plant in a cool, dark location for a few months. Once new green growth is showing, you can move it to a sunny location again and it will bloom and grow through the winter. The Shamrock pictured was a gift from my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) secret sister. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Nikki, Happy St Patty's to you. I am in MOPS too - Publicity (the newsletter).
    Love oxalis in pots, the gold ones etc. These are so cute. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are these! Very appropriate for today. Happy Irish Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. first of all - L.O.V.E. your new layout. Second of all - LOVE your post about Shamrocks! Seriously - this blog thing was made for you! LOVE keeping in touch with you this way, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I am still working on a few header/logos for your site - do you still want one, and would you like it in pink/green? (because a majority of the ones I've been working on have been pink/green...!!!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, I would love a logo from you! I was just fooling around with this backgroun, but I think I'll keep it since it is so darn cute. I think pink/green is defnitely the way to go :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your children are adorable! Just like Mindy's...I need to get my mom blogging. She will so enjoy all the garden inspiration. She is out of town but I for sure am sending her your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea they go to sleep. that was so interesting thanks for sharing!!! I need some plants after reading your blog!
    love it,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...why else would anyone blog?